FFA Cup Round 1 Wrap

Westfield FFA Cup Round 1 Full Of Surprises

By Jordan Lim

This week's FFV Podcast presented by Sportsmart will have interviews with a number of players and coaches from this week's round of FFA Cup - Click Here to subscribe in iTunes. You can also find the FFV Podcast on audioBoom

Jack Edwards played host to a series of four Westfield FFA Cup games on Saturday afternoon, first up, Whitehorse United’s 4-2 win over Rosebud Heart.

Star striker David Greening slotted the opening goal for Heart before Matthew Pearce doubled lead heading into half-time.

Cheered on by the heavy Whitehorse presence on the sidelines, the club piled on four unanswered goals to storm home with the game.

Two second half goals saw Zagame's State League Three Eltham Redbacks claim a 2-0 win against Monash University SC.

Eltham dominated proceedings, but were forced to wait until the 67th minute for an opener via an Andy Mclean penalty, before rounding off the result in injury time through Dejan Milevski.

“Progressing into the next week is the number one thing,” said goal-scorer Mclean

“We’ve had a good start to the campaign – today it was all about progressing.”

The third match-up saw North Melbourne Athletic also claim a 2-0 victory, against Old Mentonians SC.

Imposing striker Max Clarke grabbed a double for Athletic to seal their progression.

“I’m really happy, especially the second goal which was a good finish into the top corner,” Clarke said.

“The balls I got in today were really great and I couldn’t have scored without them.“

In the final game of the gala event, Rowville Eagles booked their spot in the second round of the cup with a 4-2 win over Waverley Wanderers.

Three player scored a brace – two ended up on the winning side – with Daniel Grigoruta and Denny Bejan grabbing a memorable double each to seal passageway for the Eagles.

Former Nunawading City man Jon-Luc Silvestri nabbed a consolation brace for the Wanderers in the loss.

Croydon City relied on penalties to get past Healesville SC, triumphing 4-2 after the match finished tied at 3-3.

Former Melbourne Victory striker Danny Allsopp found the back of the net twice, and netted a penalty in the win.

Upfield SC progressed with a 4-2 win over Harrisfield Hurricanes in a tight-fought affair.

Harrisfield twice held the lead before being swept away in the second half by their opponents, who scored three goals in 13 minutes to storm home with the win.

The bulk of the scoring was done early between Kings Domain and Wangaratta City, with three goals struck within the opening 10 minutes, and the score reading 3-1 to Wangaratta at half-time.

A goal to Kings Domain’s Diarmiua Daly – completing his brace - made things interesting, only for James Wells to seal both the contest and a brace of his own at the death.

Caroline Springs-based club Spring Hills FC left it until the last minute, but did enough to get past Ringwood City, stealing a 4-3 victory in the 118th minute, courtesy of substitute Charlie Nash.

They would’ve been disappointed not to have won it in regulation time, as they held a 3-1 lead with just 10 minutes to go, only for Sevag Ghazarian and Imran Sankou to grab goals in quick succession to bring it back to 3-3.

Despite ending 1-1 at full-time, there were goals aplenty between Reservoir Yeti and victors Cleeland United who contested a 3-2 result.

Suliman Moggy and Daniel Marcello hit goals for Cleeland in extra time, while DhanRai could only net a consolidation to round off the scoring.

Melton Phoenix chalked up the biggest win of the round, with a 9-0 score line against Noble Park, while Point Cook (7-0), Geelong Rangers (7-1) and Moreland Eagles (6-0) also enjoyed big wins Churchill United, Balmoral FC and Melbourne Lions respectively.

It was a mixed bag of results for the handful of State League Three sides that joined the competition in the first round.

As mentioned, Eltham Redbacks, Croydon City and Geelong Rangers grabbed wins, and there were also wins for Melbourne City, Lalor United, Brighton SC, Riversdale FC and Middle Park.

However, Ashburton United suffered a heavy 7-1 loss to Albury-Wodonga outfit Twin City Wanderers, while Darwin United fell to a 4-2 loss to State League Four side Keysborough SC.

CLICK HERE for full results

CLICK HERE for round two draw

CLICK HERE for picture galleries

FFV Official Partners

  • Supaturf
  • Abel Sports
  • Physiohealth
  • Team App
  • RMF

FFV Ball Licensees