Westfield FFA Cup Round 3 Wrap

Sunbury Comeback Wins North-West Westfield FFA Cup Battle

with Tim Michell, Leader News

SUNBURY United progressed through to the fourth round of the Westfield FFA Cup after fighting back from a goal down to beat Melton Phoenix 2-1 at McPherson Park on Saturday.

Jake McIntyre’s second-half penalty was the difference in a physical contest after Djafali Mwarabu’s cool finish cancelled out Jordan Borg’s second-half opener for the hosts.

Melton had the best of the first-half chances, Sunbury keeper Mark Lewis saving sharply with his legs from Chris Briggs on the stroke of halftime.

Borg broke the deadlock minutes after the resumption when he latched onto a pinpoint cross from Briggs to toepoke past Lewis into the right corner of the goal.

Mwarabu was too sharp for Melton captain Jordan Reithoffer, beating the central defender to a loose ball before calmly slotting past Jason Hill to level proceedings.

A handball which was more clumsy than deliberate cruelled the Phoenix’s chances minutes later, gifting the visitors a chance to take the lead.

Neil Keltie’s clearance deflected off his foot onto his outstretched hand, giving the referee little option but to point to the spot as Sunbury protested loudly.

McIntyre slotted home to give Sunbury United the lead, which it managed to hold onto despite losing Jack Spargo after he was shown a second yellow card.

Substitute Harry Thompson had two chances to ice the contest for Sunbury, but Melton refused to wilt.

Max Spargo spared Sunbury’s blushes as a late Phoenix chance appeared goal bound, before a shot from Borg was parried away.

An injury-time corner proved Melton’s final opportunity as its brave cup run came to an end in the third round.

South-East and Frankston Peninsula FFA Cup Wrap by Craig MacKenzie - Click Here

Around The Grounds

Altona East Phoenix came back from 2-0 down against Beaumaris to level 2-2 on Saturday but were knocked out by Antun Vulic's second-half strike.

David Gibson and Sean Seavill had put Beaumaris up 2-0 by the 23rd minute only for an instant reply from Matthew Napoli and then Altona East equaliser from Paul Galea by the 34th minute.

Vulic won the match in the 68th minute.

Also at Paisley Park, Altona Magic advanced with a 4-0 win against Hoppers Crossing.

A Magic team filled with former PS4 NPL players went 2-0 up via first-half goals from Jason Hayne and Adamson Ajayi before a second-half double to Ben Clarke.

At Doncaster, Eltham Redbacks triumphed 3-2 against visiting Zagame's State League 1 side Morwell Pegasus.

Andrew McLean had Eltham 1-0 up at the break before Stephen Maselli leveled for Morwell in the 50th minute. McLean made it 2-1 before Erastus Frans extended the lead to 3-1 in the 66th minute.

Maselli would score again for Morwell but the visitors could not find an equaliser.

On Monday, evergreen forward Andy Vargas lifted Melbourne City to victory 4-3 against Middle Park after extra time.

Scores were level 2-2 after 90 minutes after Branko Durand's double for Melbourne City and Middle Park goals for Blane Wilford and Kevin Mullen.

Joshua Slovacek put Melbourne City up 3-2 in the 93rd minute only for Eik Scales to level within four minutes. Vargas then netted the winner in the 100th minute.


FFV Official Partners

  • Supaturf
  • Abel Sports
  • Physiohealth
  • Team App
  • RMF

FFV Ball Licensees