PS4 NPL Round Results & Media Links

All The Weekend Action From PS4 NPL Victoria Men's and Women's

PS4 NPL Victoria

by Brandon Galgano

Avondale FC 1 (Sanders 47') Bentleigh Greens Soccer Club 3 (Packowski 6' Ruthven 35' 76') | U20: 0-3
Watch: Goals via Avondale FC channel -
Watch: Troy Ruthven interview -

The first feature match of the Round 4 NPL season took place at Knights Stadium as Avondale Heights hosted the in form Bentleigh Greens on Friday night.

With both sides at opposite ends of the table, there was much to play for on a clear night in Sunshine as the hosts looked for their first win of the season against an undefeated Bentleigh side seeking to recover from their draw against Hume last weekend.

And it was the Greens who got off to the perfect start as former Mornington striker Ryan Paczkowski made the most of some errant defending from Julien Cannizzaro to make it 1-0 in the opening five minutes.

They made it two shorty before half time through an absolute wonder strike from defensive midfielder Troy Ruthven.

The Queenslander found himself picking up the ball almost 30 yards out from goal following some determined work from Luke Pilkington before flicking it up and volleying into the top corner leaving Avondale keeper Chris May with absolutely no chance making it 2-0.

Avondale were then dealt a double blow just before the break as former Melbourne Heart midfielder Jonathan Germano was forced off with an injury before striker Oleksi Khrapko was shown a straight red for a head-but on Ross Archibald just seconds before half time.

Despite being down to 10 it was Avondale who came out of the blocks firing and they got their reward just a few minutes after the re-start with Matthew Sanders bundling the ball over the goal line following some good work from Vojo Milojevic down the right to make a game of it once again at 2-1 Bentleigh.

It was Ruthven who stepped up once again to make the game safe though with another sensational goal midway through the second period.

Standing over a free kick from well outside the area, Ruthven launched an absolute bomb of a strike over the wall and past May to make the points safe at 3-1.

Melbourne Victory's Christian Cavallo and Richmond's Kris Kioussis

Melbourne Victory's Christian Cavallo and Richmond's Kris Kioussis

Port Melbourne "Sharks" Soccer Club 1 (Stirton pen 70') Melbourne Knights FC 1 (Colosimo pen 45+1') | U20: 2-1
Watch: Fraser Chalmers penalty save -
Pics: Rob Cruse gallery -
Pics: Steve Starek gallery -
Read: Melbourne Knights report -

On what was an action packed Friday night it was Port Melbourne who were held to a draw at home against the Melbourne Knights who had to play an hour of the match with ten men.

In a fixture full of controversy it was Port who had the golden chance to go ahead from the spot in the 30th minute following a foul and subsequent sending off of Knights skipper Milan Batur in the box but Alan Kearney was denied by Fraser Chalmers to keep the scores at 0-0.

Knights then went ahead from the spot themselves right on half time as Jacob Colosimo stepped up to slot home past Stjepan Gal to make it 1-0.

Port would eventually get their equaliser though as yet another penalty allowed David Stirton to put away his first goal for the club, levelling the scores at 1-1.

Richmond SC 1953 3 (Armenian 20' 86' Barker-Daish pen 55') Melbourne Victory 6 (Howard 6' Katebian 8' 90' Pasquali 37' 45' 74') | U20: 3-3
Pics: Mark Avellino Photography gallery -
Read: MFootball report -
Read: Melbourne Victory report -

Defending wasn't on the agenda at Kevin Bartlett Reserve on Friday night as Richmond went down to the Melbourne Victory in a nine goal thriller.

A hat-trick for 16 year old NPL debutant Seb Pasquali was one of the major highlights for the visitors who found themselves 2-0 up inside the first ten minutes.

Richmond got a goal back in the 20th minute through Hamlet Armenian but Pasquali’s first two goals had the Victory looking comfortable at 4-1 going into the break.

Jake Barker-Daish then got his side back into the contest again with a penalty in the 55th minute but Pasquali’s third and Joey Katebian's second were enough to secure a 6-3 Victory despite Armenian completing his double late.

 Oakleigh Cannons FC 2 (Frame 26' Hameed 89') Hume City F.C. 1 (Danning 53') | U20: 0-4
Watch: NMS Media highlights -
Watch: Hume Ctiy highlights -
Pics: Smile For Peter gallery -
Pics: Bulent Yontem gallery -
Read: MFootball report -

In the final match of a blockbuster Friday night it was Oakleigh who came away with the upset of the round, defeating Hume City 2-1 at Jack Edwards Reserve.

Visa player Ross Frame opened the scoring for the hosts in the 25th minute before a fantastic finish from former Cannon Kofi Danning leveled the scores just before the hour mark.

Hume full back Shaun Timmins was then shown a red card for a second bookable offence in the 80th minute and Oakleigh made the most of it with former South Springvale front man Ali Hameed striking home in stoppage time to secure a vital three points for the hosts.

Northcote City FC 0 Pascoe Vale FC 0 | U20: 3-2
Pics: Daniel Hassett gallery for MFootball -
Listen: Pascoe Vale wrap -
Read: MFootball report -
Read: Northcote City report -

Northcote City earned its first point of the campaign by holding Pascoe Vale at bay.

A game of limited chances had each team's respective strikers, Todd Dekker of Northcote and Davey van't Schip of Pascoe Vale, charged with the responsibility of trying to break the deadlock.

But neither team could provide the magic to separate the sides.

Green Gully S.C 0 Heidelberg United FC 0 | U20: 2-1
Watch: Green Gully highlights -
Read: Green Gully report -

Finishing was off at Green Gully reserve as both sides failed to adequately test the goalkeepers in a trying scoreless draw.

Evan Christodoulou slipped the Heidelberg defence in the first half only to hit the post with his left-footed volley, while Heidelberg's earnest shouts for a penalty were not heeded late in the half.

Kenny Athiu had the best chance to win the game in the second half but his scuffed shot from the left side of the area was batted away by Gully goalkeeper Rani Dowisha.

FC Bulleen Lions 2 (Nour 10' Nishmoto 20') South Melbourne FC 2 (Theodore 84' Lujic 88') | U20: 3-4

By Damir Kulas

The Bulleen Lions and South Melbourne have played out an enthralling 2-2 draw at David Barro Stadium on Monday Night in front of a crowd of over 2,500 people.

The home side were in dreamland taking a 2-0 lead into the break thanks to goals from Sami Nour and Takanori Nishimoto only to be pegged back late on by strikes from Matthew Theodore and Milos Lujic.

Dominic Barba’s men brought the game to life in the 10th minute when a searching cross from former South forward Gianni de Nittis found Nour at the back who coolly slotted home to give the visitors an early lead.

1-0 almost became 2-0 but for the heroics of Nikola Roganovic who produced two wonders save within seconds of each other to deny first Shayan Alinejad and then Bardhi Hysoli.

However there was to be no denying the hosts moments later as Will Abbott’s rising header from the resulting corner was latched onto by a close range header from Nishimoto who diverted the ball past Roganovic.

The former Melbourne Heart goalkeeper was again called into action when he brilliantly prevented Nishimoto from grabbing his second after the Japanese midfielder had flicked on Matteo Ballan’s initial strike from the edge of the area, via a cunning back-heel.

Schroen then brought the best out of Bulleen goalkeerp Griffin McMaster when he fired in a left footed shot from just outside the box only for the former Heidelberg goalkeeper to tip it over.

South got their breakthrough from the resulting corner when the Lions missed several chances to clear the ball away before it fell to Theodore whose deflected effort found its way into the back of the net.

Lions substitute Dylan Bresolin attempted to restore his side’s two goal lead when he attempted an ambition dipping shot from range that almost caught Roganovic off guard.

However there was to be no denying South as Epifano launched a searching ball into the box which was headed into the back of an open net by Lujic after McMaster had deserted his goal attempting to claim the cross before being out-jumped by the South number nine.

Bulleen pushed on despite the set-back and could have easily claimed all three points in stoppage time when Alinejad played through substitute Rodrigo Covarrubias only for Roganovic to hold firm and produce another world class save in a Man-of-the Match performance from the 30 year-old.

PS4 NPL Women's

Bayside United Football Club - WNPL 1 (James 89') Geelong Galaxy United FC2 (A Taranto 30' Pickett 82') | U18: 2-2

A late goal from Bronte James was enough to set up a nervous finish at Kingston Heath after Geelong had controlled the contest for the most part.

Adriana Taranto took the invitation from a back-tracking defence to shoot and score low to the bottom left corner in the first half to break the deadlock.

Bayside slowly grew in confidence in the second half but were also riding their luck defensively, goalkeeper Ingrid Philippe shown a yellow card for body-checking Geelong's Aneta Komijat outside the penalty area.

A back post header from Caitlin Pickett gave Geelong a safety net, and Galaxy would need it as Bayside's James nodded in from a goalkeeper fumble at a corner with just minutes remaining.

Southern United Football Club 1 (Karlson 78') FC Bulleen Lions 4 ( Coppock 41' Privitelli 68' 87' Goad 90') | U18: 1-5
Pics: Craig Stockdale gallery -

Bulleen again left two of their W-League stars, Beattie Goad and Alex Natoli, on the bench and would ultimately have to call on them to secure victory away at Langwarrin's Lawton Park.

Em Coppock's goal four minutes before half time put Bulleen in the ascendancy, with Lia Privitelli coming off the bench to double the advantage mid-way through the second half.

Selena Karlson hit back in the 78th minute for Southern United, but Bulleen would hold off a Southern comeback. Privitelli scored again three minutes from time and Goad added a fourth in stoppage time.

Heidelberg United FC 0 Calder United SC 5 (Alonso x2 Pitts Rampal Barilla) | U18: 0-2
Watch: Calder United highlights -
Pics: Graeme Furlong gallery -

Heidelberg United's Steph Galea battles Calder United's Marie Rampal for possession

Heidelberg United's Steph Galea battles Calder United's Marie Rampal for possession

Jess Pitts' rocket from distance after five minutes set the tone as Calder United dominated at Olympic Village.

Rachel Alonso doubled the advantage after 11 minutes and Marie Rampal scored for the second consecutive week to have Calder out of sight at the 32-minute mark.

Enza Barilla continued to scoring on 70 minutes before Alonso completed her double a minute from time.

Calder lost Gülcan Koca to a foot injury and shuffled the backline accordingly, maintaining a clean sheet thanks to goalkeeper Beth Mason-Jones.

Alamein FC 4 (Keane 20' 45+1' 90+1' Ayres 40') Box Hill United 1 (Camilleri 23') | U18: 0-0
Watch: Alamein highlights package:
Pics: Backline Photography gallery -
Pics: Alamein gallery -

American striker Hannah Keane announced herself in the league with a hat-trick as Alamein broke away from Box Hill late in the first half.

Keane's opener was answered almost instantly by a sharp reaction and shot at close range from Mel Camilleri.

But Melina Ayres' well-hit strike from the left had Alamein back in front in the 40th minute and Keane sent Alamein in 3-1 up as she was first to react to a shot that rattled off the woodwork.

Alamein controlled most of the second half but wouldn't beat Box Hill's Emily Shields again until stoppage time when Keane scored from close range on the right.

NPL 2 East

By Jordan Lim

Box Hill United 1 (Godfrey 26') Dandenong Thunder SC 3 (Osmancevic 19' 66' Colosimo 23')
Pics: Sonia Licciardi gallery -
Listen: Box Hill United radio -
Read: The Corner Flag report -

In a pulsating contest at Wembley Park, Dandenong Thunder continued their barnstorming start to the NPL2 East season with a 3-1 win over hosts Box Hill United.

The match was highlighted by a fourth consecutive league brace to starlet Amir Osmancevic, with Thunder's other goal coming from a Simon Colosimo header; Box Hill's only strike coming through Kobbie Boahene.

Michael Kariuki helped set up the first opportunity of the afternoon for Lucas Johns but his shot from just outside the area was well palmed away by Thunder keeper Fraser Maclaren.

The lively Brandon Barnes squared up for Veton Korcari on the 16th minute, but the striker was unable to test Keegan Coulter, firing over from point-blank range.

While it was a let off for the Thunder, they didn't have to wait long for their breakthrough as Osmancevic burst the net open with a powerful finish.

Played through on the left wing, Osmancevic aimed a precision strike in between the left post and the covering Coulter, smashing the ball into upright on its way in.

The forward should have had a second soon after but was denied by a save from Coulter, the resulting corner leading to the game's second goal.

Kristian Sarkies swung in a shallow corner which Colosimo glanced towards goal at the near-post to double their advantage.

Box Hill soon had one back as a floating Alex Dao free-kick saw a couple of bodies fly up to out leap Fraser Maclaren, with Kobbie Boahene adjudged to have gotten the last touch as the ball flew into the net with speed.

Thunder should have restored their two-goal buffer on 36 minutes, with a string of chances going unrewarded.

A ball across the face from Osmancevic caused momentary panic in the United defence, only for the ball to find its way back to Barnes; Coulter doing well to stop the shot as it took a wicked deflection towards the bottom corner.

He was however only able to parry, and Korcari sniffed out the opportunity, rushing to meet the ball before Coulter only for his shot to go over.

Barnes and Osmancevic combined to put the game to bed on 65 minutes. the former lofting a first time cross onto the penalty spot for the latter, who initially miscued his first effort, but regain his bearings to fire past Coulter on the second attempt.

Osmancevic then saw his best opportunity for a hat-trick go to waste as he crunched the crossbar from substitute Lewis Foster's cutback.

The end of the contest was marred with minor controversy as Box Hill coach Greg Kassidas was given his marching orders for what the referee saw as an offensive hand gesture from the sidelines.

GV Suns 2 (Alaraibi 70' Carley 79') Murray United FC 1 (Lino 45') | U20: 2-1
Watch: Murray United highlights -

Murray United enjoyed their short trip for the season as they made the two hour commute to Shepparton, but weren’t able to hang on to a first half lead as they fell 2-1 to Goulburn Valley Suns.

Former Adelaide United Youth player Geoffry Lino broke the deadlock in first half stoppage time with his first goal for the club on his return to the starting line-up.

However, the goal wasn’t enough as the Suns finished strongest in front of their home support, with Hakeem Alaraibi nodding home from a corner kick to restore parity.

Match winning duties were left to Craig Carley - no surprises there - as the Englishman rammed home a close-range finish to earn his side the full complement of points.

Brunswick City Soccer Club 2 (Wright 18' Vithoulkas 53') Dandenong City SC 1 (Cattermole 59')
Watch: Brunswick City highlights -

Brunswick City have continued their blistering start to the NPL Victoria 2 East season with a 2-1 win over Dandenong City.

Adam Wright - fresh off a brace last week - found the back of the net first for the Spartans, glancing a header past goalkeeper Damir Saccin in the 18th minute.

Brunswick keeper Wesley Coles was kept busy in the opening stages, making two good stops before Dimi Vithoulkas capitalised at the other end with a wonderful curling strike from outside the box.

Ashley Cattermole pulled one back with a towering header just before the hour mark, but it was in vain as the hosts held on for the points.

Springvale White Eagles FC 0 Eastern Lions SC-The Official Site 1 (Burfoot 88') | U20: 2-1
Watch: Eastern Lions highlights -
Pics: Anita Milas Just Shoot gallery -


They left it to late, but Eastern Lions managed to grab a narrow 1-0 victory, courtesy of Sam Burfoot’s sublime 88th minute goal against hosts Springvale White Eagles.

White Eagles’ Jason Ricciuti had an early chance, and forced the opposition keeper into a brilliant low save to keep the score at 0-0.

Both sides exchanged chances as Burfoot found his range with a well-saved free-kick and Ryan Barbare firing narrowly over after a darting run through the midfield.

The decider will go down as an early contender for goal of the season as Burfoot flicked the ball up for himself, keeping the ball up with another flick backwards and finally volleying over the keeper with the outside of his boot.

Nunawading City FC 1 (Antequera 82') Kingston City FC 3 (Koukal 30' Mitrovic 50' 58') | U20: 1-2
Watch: Nick Tolios interview -
Watch: Velibor Mitrovic goal -
Watch: Kingston Go-Pro footage -

Kingston City did just enough to get past Nunawading City 3-1, who for the third time this year were relatively competitive heading into half-time.

Like against Brunswick City last week, they went into the break facing only a one-goal deficit, while against runaway leaders Dandenong Thunder in Round One, they had contained them to a draw at the same point.

It was Zdenek Koukal who grabbed that first-half opener, making it a goal in four consecutive games for the former Czech youth international.

But much like each of their games this season, the contest ended in defeat, with Velibor Mitrovic striking twice in quick succession to put the game to bed.

A late consolation goal to David Antequera rounded off the scoring.

NPL 2 West

By Ahmed Yussuf

Melbourne City FC 3 (Petreski 38' Clarke 59' Cristaldo 90') Moreland Zebras FC 0

League-leaders Melbourne City carried on their unbeaten start to the season with a 3-0 win at home to last season’s promotion challengers Moreland Zebras.

City started the game in impressing fashion. And were rewarded with their early dominance when fullback Phil Petreski struck late in the first half with a curling free kick from just outside the penalty area.

Going behind on the stroke of half time left the Zebras ruing missed opportunities from attacker Baggio Yousif.

The pacey winger was causing trouble for the City back line, constantly threatening to get in behind. He found some luck within the opening 20 minutes, as he was one on one with young City keeper Yaren Sozer.

Yousif picked his spot in-between the legs of the former Paco man, but Sozer was equal to it.

It wasn’t long in the second half before the lead threatened to be doubled.

Former Melbourne Victory youth product, Christopher Cristaldo, was charging down the left. It looked like the forward had lost the chance to cut it back into the middle, until Zebras keeper Nikola Kostadinovski attempted to claim the ball.

Kostadinovski clumsily tripped Cristaldo conceding the penalty.

However, the Zebras number one was equal to City penalty taker Steve Kuznanovski’s effort, guessing the right way and saving his own blushes.

After the high of saving his team from going two goals down away from home, Kostadinovski was let down by his defence.

Bradley Clarke built up a head of steam interchanging with teammates before letting rip from inside the box and doubling City’s lead.

Starring at the barrel of a 2-0 defeat the Zebras tried to go on the offensive. But just before they were able to get out of second gear they were down to ten men. Midfielder James Kelly was sent off with a straight red for dissent.

City rounded their win when Giuseppe Marafioti jinked past his marker down the wing to play in Cristaldo who slotted away to make up for his missed penalty.

Whittlesea Rangers FC 4 (Cundari, Ofli, Slefendorfas, Iulano) Bendigo City FC 0 | U20: 0-0
Pics: Mark Avellino Photography gallery -

Stefan Baicevic Whittlesea and Matthew Iuliano congratulate Atilla Ofli of Whittlesea Ranges

Stefan Baicevic Whittlesea and Matthew Iuliano congratulate Atilla Ofli of Whittlesea Ranges

Whittlesea Ranges cashed in on a chance to boost the goal difference by continuing Bendigo City's winless start to the season.

The goals were shared among Whittlesea's major threats, with Atilla Ofli, Matt Cundari, George Slefendorfas and Matt Iuliano all finding the back of the net.

Ballarat Red Devils 3 (King 11' Salvatore 40' Romen pen 83') Werribee City FC 2 (Mosibe Esara 27' 71') | U20: 7-2
Pics: David Mullins Sports Photography. gallery -
Pics: BRD gallery -
Pics: BRD U20 gallery -
Read: The Courier report -
Read: Werribee City report -

Coming off a loss in round three, Ballarat bounced back with a late win against Werribee City.

The Red Devils took the lead in the opening 15 minutes with a goal from Dave King, after a shot was deflected away from a corner. The home side was clawed back soon after Shaun Romein gave away a penalty. Keeper Dave Romein saved the initial penalty strike but the save fell back to penalty taker Deflin Mosibe Esara, and on second time of asking he put the shot away.

Ballarat struck back to reclaim the lead in the latter stages of the first half. The hosts were awarded a free kick 22 yards from goal. Nelson Salvatore stepped up to take the set piece. The youngster curled his effort into the goal putting Ballarat back into the lead.

Into the second half, Ballarat keeper Romein was busy making double saves. But was later called upon to guard his goal for another penalty. This time Mosibe Esara put it away on his first time of asking.

In the final ten minutes of the game, Ballarat were searching for a late goal to claim a much needed home win. A handball in the area gave them that chance, they were awarded a penalty of their own. Shaun Romein stepped up to put right his part in the first goal, and he did. Romein put home the penalty for the home side.

St Albans Saints SC 1 (Yabio 68') Moreland City Football Club 2 (Ukuno 65' 73') | U20: 3-0
Watch: Reaction from St Albans coach Zeljko Kuzman -
Pics: St Albans senior gallery -
Pics: St Albans U20 gallery -
Read: MFootball report -
Read: St Albans report -

The St Albans Saints went down 2-1 against visitors Moreland City.

The action picked up in the second half with three goals in ten minutes for both sides.

Moreland took the lead in the 62nd minute courtesy of Apai Ukuno who headed home after an impressive team move from the visitors. Within a matter of minutes the Saints hit back with Teddy Yabio finding the net after Joseph Monek ball into the area found him.

Moreland put the game to bed with a strike from Ukuno on the edge of the penalty area, doubling his goal tally and putting the away side ahead.

North Geelong Warriors FC 4 (Thorne 28' Saglam 37' Anderson 41' Townley pen 66') Sunshine George Cross FC 0 | U20: 6-2
Pics: Live Pixel gallery seniors -
Pics: Live Pixel gallery U20s -
Read: NGW match report -

North Geelong Warriors stormed the first half with three goals within 13 minutes between them.

The goal flurry began with a long throw from Matthew Townley finding the head of namesake Matthew Throne, who put his chance away to give the home side the lead.

In less than ten minutes their lead would double. Michael Anderson troubled George Cross goalkeeper Robert Santili with his effort from distance. Despite Santili’s best efforts his save fell to Ridvan Saglam, whose eyes only saw goal.

Minutes to the break Anderson wanted to get in on the scoring party. After having his early strike from range saved, the attacker tried his luck again. This time Santili was unable to stop his 30-meter strike from nestling into the back of the net.

Midway through the second half, The Warriors were awarded a penalty. Townley fronted up to take the spot kick and capping off the thrashing with the fourth.

FFV Official Partners

  • Supaturf
  • Abel Sports
  • Winning Edge Presentations
  • Physiohealth
  • Team App
  • RMF

FFV Ball Licensees